It won’t be long before Dreamworld’s beloved tiger residents will be back on show, front and centre in their revamped, multi-million-dollar enclosure. The new living space will feature a 12 meter long curved cast acrylic panel, which was thermoformed, installed and supplied by AAT. The clear PLEXIGLAS® acrylic panel will provide visitors with an amazing underwater view of the tigers swimming and playing in the water.
Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson said the main splash pool on Tiger Island will be repositioned as a central key feature with a transparent wall so visitors can see the tigers swimming, an activity tigers enjoy and an experience that our guests will love.
The upgraded attraction has been designed with a strong focus on visitor experience, interpretive areas and improving the viewing areas. Educational presentations allow the 14 tigers to engage the audience whilst teaching visitors about critically endangered tigers living in the wild. The Dreamworld Wildlife Foundation is a major contributor to tiger conservation worldwide via tiger experiences and donations from the public.
The new Tiger Island includes:
- Interpretive areas focusing on conservation education.
- World-class tiger exhibits with extended accommodation and amenities
- Splash pools with underwater viewing
- New and expanded tiger husbandry facilities
- Improved viewing areas including a covered stadium
- Enhanced experience areas where visitors can get up close to a tiger
- Audio visual systems for tiger presentations
- New themed dining and shopping outlets
- Undercover corporate events area
PLEXIGLAS® acrylic panel being measured after the thermoforming and bonding processes completed. This panel was then prepared and polished in the AAT ACRYLICS manufacturing facility in Guangzhou, before being shipping to Australia. The acrylics team then completed the acrylic installation on-site, ensuring the panel was installed correctly and water tight.
Underwater Acrylic Specifications
- Type: Thermoformed and bonded PLEXIGLAS® acrylic
- Length: 12,000mm
- Bonds: 2 Vertical
- Arc: 12,508mm
- Thickness: 60mm
To learn more about the methods we use to transform acrylic into curves, domes and cylinders as well as the on-site acrylic installation service we offer please visit the services page.